Thursday, November 17, 2011

Ring Around the Rosy, a Pocket Full of Posies

So remember that last post when I was all confident that we had all the big stuff figured out? Well, we did. But then, my school did one of the few things that I have been able to appreciate and granted me a scholarship. Holy mackerel did I ever crap my pants when I read that email attachment. “Oh my goodness!” I thought to myself. “I could invite 20 extra people, I could get our name in lights, I could get a fancy cake topper, Eugene and I could pay for a wedding album!”

And then I got ahold of myself. While this is an amazing gift from my school, and it really could not come at a more opportune time, we have other expenses that definitely need to be addressed first. The more practical part of me reminded my whimsical side that this could be 2 months of rent+ utilities for us. This can help us get Christmas presents for the family that don’t suck. Even though we’re both certain that Paul could probably use some new undies. This could help pay for our plane ride to Wisconsin for the bridal shower coming up in March (I swear Mom is planning it and will send invites soon)

The one thing for the wedding that I would really like to do is fresh flowers. I’ve gone back and forth about this for a long time. I love the idea of the fresh floral scents and the delicacy of once-living petals. Again, my more practical side had to voice that these are things that only last a day and then fade away. The difference wasn’t a ton of money, but it was enough to be substantial. So, with this little gift, I think we can do fresh florals. I may still use the website to make a replica of my bouquet that I can keep for always. Eugene approves, and the florist that we met with can do the personals fairly inexpensively, and she’s giving us a discount just because she likes us. Seriously, she is one of the sweetest women I’ve ever met.
The rest of the funds will be used for more practical purposes. Now both sides of me can sleep at night.

No comments:

Post a Comment