Tuesday, November 29, 2011

We survived!

Our first holiday with (almost) the whole Udey fam-bam. Oh but did we ever have a rocky start to the weekend....Jay, Jill, Emma, Sarah, Yaakov, we missed you!

So it's Wednesday morning, Eugene and I are attempting to put the final touches on a diabetic ketoacidosis (DKA) presentation. Yes, it is in fact about as much fun as it sounds. Even less, maybe. When, all of a sudden we get an email from our school saying that the whole building is without power and will be closed until further notice. Classes were cancelled for the day. Did I ever throw a fit! We had made all of our travel plans around this one case presentation only to find that it would be canceled?!? Oh the indignation! Well, then we had a relatively productive morning and off to Wisconsin we flew.

The flight was uneventful, we arrived in Milwaukee, my Mom picked us up and we drove the 1.25 hours back to Janesville. Janesville.... how you haven't changed a bit. It's quite the stark contrast, living in Baltimore and then having to go to the grocery store the night before a major national holiday centered around eating... Nevertheless we had fun.

Thursday morning arrives and Eugene is seriously the most helpful person ever. We drive off to Aunt Mary's and the fun begins!

Eugene: "Are there... cows on the farm?"
Me: "....um, yes."

Immediately as we walk in:
Uncle John: "Eugene, are you a Packers fan?"
Eugene (OHMYGOD How do I dodge this bullet?!?) "I'm a huge fan of Aaron Rodgers"
Uncle John: "Welcome to the family"

At dinner:
Me: "Sweetie, your fork is on the left..."
Eugene: "Heck if I know what's going on, where are the chopsticks?"
Me: "We'll bring them next time, Ooo! Can we bring the ones with the teddy bears?!?"
Eugene".......-.-....."

The gift exchange was fantastic. Very calm this year. Eugene ended up with a manicure set and utility knife. I had to fight off my cousin and Uncle for the tool set. Apparently they don't understand that I've got things to do with them tools! Cause I loooooove me some do-it-yourself projects, especially for the upcoming nuptials next year. Nevermind that this is at least the second time that I've ended up with a gift that TSA would definitely not let me carry on an airplane (the first was a gardening set, complete with sheers for trimming bushes!)

After that we flew home and slept. A lot. Oh, and worked on more homework, but mostly slept.

How was everyone else's holiday?

No comments:

Post a Comment